In the city of Cape Town there are plenty opportunities for you to grab a hold on to. Many of these opportunities come from internships and volunteer programmes. I’ve been giving a lot of attention to this and therefore, I felt it my duty to provide you with just some of the many internships and volunteer groups available in Cape Town.
Below are the list of names and links to the various groups
- The Kickstart page provides multiple internship offers across all fields of study, all based in Cape Town.
- The Careers Portal page provides internships offered by the City of Cape Town. The internships cover: Environmental Resource Management department,
Spatial Planning and Urban Design department, Planning and Building, Development Management department, Economic Development department, Trade & Investment department, Development Information & GIS department.
If you are studying in any of these fields, don’t hesitate, apply now! Further information on applicant requirements are detailed on the site.
- Indeed also has various internship programmes for you to get involved in. It includes a wide range of internships. Quick tip: in the search box of the page, type in internships and any other city or country if you’re interested in going abroad.
- The Western Cape Government provides various internships as well as bursaries for your studies. Check it out.
- Future Cape Town is an organisation that “through our online presence, research, and multi-stakeholder collaborations we work towards expanding public access to urbanism in order to promote a more visionary and inclusive city.” – if this interests you, check out the requirements for the site and apply!
- Join the VACorps team. This internship programme in South Africa where the “participants are forward thinkers who understand that career development and international exploration are not mutually exclusive. The VACorps program model embraces a work-hard, play-hard approach to your future career and life. We will place you at an internship that will help you enrich your professional perspective and also coordinate weekly activities that will immerse you in the local culture and let you socialize with like-minded adventurers. The quality of our country support is unriaveled because we will treat you like a member of our family.”
If you’re passionate about working with children, here are a few organistions to volunteer at:
- Help2read is a non-profit organisation that aims to erase illiteracy in South Africa’s most disadvantaged communities. They equip literate adult volunteers from the local communities with the necessary skills and support to be able to help disadvantaged primary school children who struggle with reading.
- Friends Of the Children’s Hospital Association (FOCHA) is an organisation that provides non-medical support to patients, their parents and care-givers at Red Cross Children’s hospital in Rondebosch. This includes providing emotional support, playing with children, helping clean surrounding areas and so much more. Additionally, you can donate to the organisation if you are not able to volunteer. Check out their Facebook page too!
- The Saartjie Bartman Centre for Women & Children (SBCWC) is a centre for abused women and children. They provide safe accommodation, legal advice and child care protection services. They aid women and their children to get back on to their feet again and help them live a safe, abuse free life.
If animals or sea creatures are very close to your heart, then you can join the following organisations: